| |
Johnson Hindin Genealogy
Suggestions for using this site: Click “Johnson-Hindin Genealogy,” above, to go to the Home Page. Click the “Ancestors” tab below to see a pedigree chart. (If no ancestors appear in the chart, see if the person has a spouse by clicking the blue down arrow, and then click the “Ancestors” tab.) In the pedigree chart, click the blue down arrow to see a person’s family and click the gold right arrow to see more ancestors. Click the “Descendants” tab, below, then the “Register Format” option for a good descendancy report.
|
) NE (Small)NEW.jpg) |
|
1615 - 1684
-
| Born |
1615 |
Sutton Courtney (Berkshire), England |
- According to family historian Robert Ashcom, John was born in Sutton Courtney, England. According to family historian Mrs. J. Dawson Reeder beginning in 1952 and Areta Blake, Provo, UT, John was born in Berkshire, England.
|
| Gender |
Male |
| Died |
31 Aug 1684 |
Point Patience, Calvert Co., Maryland [1] |
| Person ID |
I1406 |
Johnson Hindin Tree |
| Last Modified |
21 Apr 2017 |
| Family |
Winifred Unknown, b. Abt 1619, Berkshire, England , d. Bef 1684, Point Patience, Calvert County, Maryland [2] |
| Married |
Abt 1640 |
Berkshire, England |
| Children |
| | 1. Charles ASHCOM, b. Abt 1645, England , d. 1702, St. Mary's, Maryland  |
| | 2. John ASHCOM, b. Abt 1645, Berkshire, England , d. 31 Aug 1684 |
| | 3. Nathaniel ASHCOM, b. Abt 1643, Berkshire, England , d. 19 May 1687, Calvert County, Maryland  |
| | 4. Ann ASHCOM |
| | 5. Samuel ASHCOM, b. Abt 1647, Berkshire, England , d. 9 Sep 1686 |
|
| Family ID |
F495 |
Group Sheet |
-
| Notes |
- Jamestown, Virginia, founded in 1607, was the first permanent English settlement in North America. , Originally also called "James Towne" or "Jamestowne", it is located on the James River in what is currently James City County in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The site is about 40 miles inland from the Atlantic Ocean and the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay and about 45 miles downstream and southeast of the current state capital city of Richmond. Both the river and the settlement were named after King James I of England, who was on the throne at the time, granted the private proprietorship to the Virginia Company of London.
In 1622, the Algonquian Indians attacked the out plantations killing over 300 of the settlers. Even though a last minute warning spared Jamestown, the attack on the colony and mismanagement of the Virginia Company at home convinced the King that he should revoke the Virginia Company Charter. Virginia became a crown colony in 1624. After the attack, a census of all the living inhabitants of Jamestown was conducted. This census became known as the Muster of 1624/25. A John Askume, age 22, is shown in the Muster as living in Accomack County in the Eastern Shore of Virginia, having arrived in 1624 aboard the ship The Charles.
Thus, John possibly arrived in Jamestown, Virginia as early as 1624. That this is the John with whom we are concerned here, needs to be confirmed. In any event, he seems to have been a landowner in Virginia before ultimately moving to Maryland with his wife and three sons in about 1651.
According to "Cavaliers and Pioneers; Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants 1623-1666", Nugent, Nell Marion Genealogical Publishing Co. (1974) (page 165), John was granted land in Upper Norfolk Co. in March 1638: [Patent Book No.2] John Ashcomb, 829 acs., Up. Norf. Co., Oct. 7, 1646, Page 83. Beg. at miles end of Michael Wilcox, adj. land of George White, E. to a place called Newgate, to Laughleys Cr. belonging to the Wwd. br. of Elizabeth River. 250 acres due by virtue of the rights of a patent granted sd. Ashcomb Mar. 6, 1638, which patent is surrendered, & 600 acres for trans. of 12 pers: John Ashcomb, Winifred Ashcomb, John Ashcomb, Junr., Wm. Lasher, Richard Galloway, James Goodcross, Madelow (or Madelene) Powell, Henry Jones, Edward Wood, Martha Lylls, Elizabeth Coram, John Moore, Winefrid Jones, Tho. Salsberry, Gilbert Lake, Edward Prince, Mary Gallaway." Cited at: http://users.ticnet.com/stevem/p1bk10.htm (April 20, 2002). In 1637, the House of Burgesses had divided New Norfolk County into Upper Norfolk County and Lower Norfolk County. Upper Norfolk County was renamed Nansemond County in 1646. Nansemond County was later incorporated into the City of Suffolk.
According to family historian Mrs. J. Dawson Reeder (without citing any source), John Ashcom was an extensive landowner in Maryland in 1643. He came from Berkshire, England with his wife Winifred, four sons, two relatives and, in 1650 and 1651, six servants (Alexandre, Mathoda, Will Gibbins, Guy Edward Wood, Witt Ward and Joan). For this, on July 2, 1649, Lord Baltimore granted John land at the mouth of the Patuxant River: 360 acres known as Pt. Patience in St. Mary's Co., named and recorded August 6, 1651 (1661?); 650 acres known as West Ashcom (on the west side of the Patuxant River) in St. Mary's Co., surveyed June (July?) 17, 1652; and 200 (440?) acres known as East Ashcom or Hallowing Point (on the east side of the Patuxant River) in Calvert, Co., surveyed April 21, 1653. (Mrs. Reeder's account filed with the DAR Library in Washington, D.C. states that the grant was made in 1658.) The East Ashcom and West Aschom estates were apparently named after the villages of his home, near York, England.
John's will, which is recorded in the Maryland Land Office in Annapolis, MD, was probated on July 16 and August 31, 1684. It provided that West Ashcom would be left to his son Charles "if he should come into the Province." Charles, was at the time, apparently in Pennsylvania, serving under William Penn as the Deputy Surveyor for Chester Co.
According to family historian Robert Ashcom, John Ashcom came to America in approximately 1635 from Sutton Courtney, England. He received a land grant in Norfolk, Va., then he and his children moved to St. Mary's, Md. where they obtained several land grants at the mouth of the Chesapeake.
EARLY MARYLAND HISTORY
In 1498, John Cabot sailed along Eastern Shore off present-day Worcester County and in 1608, Capt. John Smith explored Chesapeake Bay. In 1629, George Calvert, 1st Lord Baltimore, left Avalon in Newfoundland, and visited Virginia.
St. Mary's City is the site of the first settlement in Maryland and the first seat of colonial government. The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) established one of the earliest manors in the new colony at St. Inigoes soon after St. Mary's City was founded. In many regards, the early history of the colony is the history of St. Mary's County, and the Jesuit Manor played a prominent role in that history.
In 1632, the first Lord Baltimore, Sir George Calvert, began procedures to acquire a charter for lands in the Chesapeake Bay region. He died before King Charles I and the privy council had completed the arrangements, and it fell to Sir George's son, Cecilius Calvert, the second Lord Baltimore, to complete the negotiations and obtain the charter. After obtaining the charter, Calvert went about finding financial backers to help support his attempt to start an overseas colony. In order to attract wealthy immigrants and financial backers, Lord Baltimore offered a variety of inducements that included large land grants, government offices, and noble titles for those who would transport sufficient numbers of settlers to the province. Central to Calvert's plan was a reward of 2,000 acres of land (later 1,000) to investors for every 5 men between the ages of 16 and 50 that they brought into the province (Menard and Carr 1982:177,189). Anyone transporting enough people to receive a grant of at least 1,000 acres (later 3,000) could have his tract designated a manor, complete with the right to hold court and other privileges. Lord Baltimore envisioned the manorial lords as forming a new nobility with similar powers and responsibilities as the established landed gentry in England. The formation of manors was to be an important step in the growth of the colony, and the manors would serve as a central institution in the life of the province, serving as an instrument of social control and as a focal point for community loyalties (Menard and Carr 1982:177-178). Generally, the manorial system, as envisioned by Lord Baltimore, was a failure, although in many ways the Jesuit manor at St. Inigoes fulfilled Calvert's vision. St. Inigoes Manor was owned by the Jesuits for over 300 years and served as a stabilizing force in the local area.
Lord Baltimore was largely unsuccessful in his attempts to attract wealthy immigrants, and the next year, when the ships Ark and Dove were sent off to colonize his landholding in the New World, they carried only 17 gentlemen investors. These men were among the group of 140 to 200 settlers that also included two or three Jesuits and their servants. Most of the remaining passengers were Protestant indentured servants employed by the Catholic investors. The venture was under the directorship of Leonard Calvert, Lord Baltimore's younger brother, who had been assigned governor of the settlement before leaving England (Menard and Carr 1982:168). The Jesuits, then, were financial supporters of Lord Baltimore's overseas colony. All of the gentry on board the Ark and Dove were from families that were associated with the Jesuits (Bossy 1982:162).
On March 25, 1634, the settlers, after exploring the area and meeting with the Piscataway Indians, landed at a Yacomoco Indian village six miles up the Potomac on St. George's River (later called St. Mary's River). After negotiating terms, the Indians agreed to leave their village and their fields; at this place, St. Mary's City was founded (Menard and Carr 1982:185-187).
One of the first activities at the new settlement was the erection of a fort. However, within three years, the settlers had dispersed to various plantations and the fort was abandoned. The settlers soon turned to tobacco as the primary cash crop. High tobacco prices during the mid-1630s, coupled with friendly relations with the Indians, fertile soil, and abundant natural resources provided an adequate foundation for the colony's early survival. Population increased mainly by the arrival of new settlers, and, by 1637, when St. Mary's County was formed, the population totaled between 340 to 390 (Menard and Carr 1982:187).
In 1642, most of the settlers were still located within a few miles of the original landing site and were divided into three administrative units known as "hundreds": St. Michaels, from Point Lookout to St. Inigoes Creek; St. Mary's, on the east bank of St. Mary's River, north of St. Michaels; and St. George's, on the west bank of St. Mary's River. Others had moved farther away, near the Patuxent and Wicomico rivers and were organized into St. Clement's Hundred, between St. Mary's Hundred and the Wicomico River and Mattapanie Hundred on the Patuxent River (Pogue 1983). Of the five "hundreds" in the county, St. Michaels, which included St. Inigoes Neck, was the most populous with 120 occupants; however, St. Mary's Hundred, which included the fledgling town of St. Mary's, was the most densely settled. By 1642, 13 tracts of land had been surveyed in the town and 12 households were settled in the general area (Menard and Carr 1982:193).
Sixteen manors were in existence by 1642, which together contained 31, 000 acres and represented over 80 percent of all of the patented land in the province. An estimated 90 percent of this land remained unimproved as of1642. Throughout the early years of the settlement there was a chronic labor shortage and manor owners found it difficult to improve their grants. Few servants desired to remain at the manor after completing the term of indenture, which was usually four or five years. Upon completion of this term, the former servant could collect "freedom dues," which consisted of a suit of clothing, an axe and hoe, three barrels of corn from the former master, and (until 1681) a 5O- acre land warrant obtainable on demand from the proprietor (Carr and Menard 1979:207). As a consequence, many small owner operated plantations, not manors, became the dominant agriculture unit (Menard and Carr 1982:193).
The next twenty years proved difficult for the colony. In 1645, Richard Ingle and a group of rebels raided St. Mary's, looted, sacked, and burned many of the outlying plantations, captured several Jesuit priests and Catholic leaders, and seized control of the government. Governor Calvert fled to Virginia, as did many settlers. Late in 1646, Calvert returned with an armed force and restored order, but the county had lost many of its inhabitants. Between 1646 and 1652, the county experienced a short period of economic expansion and general growth; however, in 1652 Lord Baltimore lost his charter when a commission from the new English Commonwealth seized control of the provincial government. The proprietorship was restored to Lord Baltimore in 1658. After 1660 and the restoration of King Charles II, the province, now consisting of six counties, began a period of sustained growth (Menard and Carr 1982:210).
In 1667, St. Mary's was established as the first official city of the province, which formalized its position as the seat of government in the province. Thereafter, a period of significant expansion began which reached its peak in the 1680s. During this period, public buildings were constructed, and inns and stables were opened to tend to the needs of those coming into the city. All this came to an end in 1689, when a group calling themselves the Protestant Associators seized the government and named one of their members, Nehemiah Blackstone, as governor. As a result, the seat of government was moved to Annapolis in 1695. Without the business of government, St. Mary's City lacked an economic base, and most of the settlement was abandoned. By the 1720s, little trace of the first settlement remained (Menard and Carr 1982:213).
During the first 30 or 40 years after the founding of the colony, real opportunity existed for freed servants to achieve considerable property and status, and many went on to distinguish themselves in government and as planters. Beginning around 1675, however, the highly mobile, predominantly small planter society that had evolved since 1640 changed significantly. In 1680, a thirty-year period of economic depression began that would be broken only by two short periods of prosperity (1685-86 and 1698- 1702). Indentured servants, when they completed their terms, found themselves free but with no capital and little credit in a depressed economy that offered little chance of advancement (Carr and Menard 1979:234). Society became less mobile during this period, and those with inherited wealth and family position comprised an emerging native elite. By the early 1700s, this elite constituted a rigid oligarchy that held power within the county well into the nineteenth century (Ridgeway 1979:129).
The population of St. Mary's County increased slowly during the seventeenth century while the county's share of the population of the colony decreased. In 1675, the population of St. Mary's County was 2, 218, only third highest in the colony, although for the first time population growth was a result of native births rather than immigration. By 1712, population had only increased to 4,090, which represented less than 10 percent of the colony's total population. The population of St. Mary's County continued to grow at a slow pace until 1775 when it reached a peak of 16,950. After 1775, the population decreased significantly, and it would not be until a hundred years later (1880) that the population would approach pre-Revolutionary War numbers. To the end of the eighteenth century and for much of the nineteenth century, the population remained between 12,000 and 13,000. Between 1860 and 1930, there were modest increases, and the population of the county grew to between 15,000 and 17,000 (Wesler et al. 1981:162- 164). Population growth began to accelerate after 1940, and in 1970 there were about 48,000 people living in the county (Dozer 1976:7; Gibson 1978:1).
By 1725, social and economic trends that would continue into the twentieth century had been established in the county. From the time of initial settlement, tobacco had been the main agricultural staple and economic activity. Tobacco production and shipment did not encourage the development of towns because ships continued to land at tobacco plantations into the mid-nineteenth century. This practice also slowed the establishment of a road network in the county. Social and economic development in the county was behind that of other counties that diversified their agricultural base and developed industries. Tobacco agriculture also influenced the demographic development of the county. While indentured servants continued to make up most of the work force until the early part of the eighteenth century, the number of slaves in the county increased rapidly after that time. Initially, slaves were introduced due to the difficulty of obtaining white servants, but by 1712 slaves made up over 10 percent of the county's population. The percentage increased throughout the eighteenth century, and from the 1780s to emancipation, slaves would comprise over 40 percent of the county's population (Wesler et al. 1981:162-164). During the second half of the nineteenth century, there was some attempt to diversify the economic base of the county. Oyster- shucking and canning and crab-packing industries were started in the last quarter of the century. A commercial fishing industry also began and reached a peak in the early twentieth century. However, the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were marked by the persistence of small agricultural towns. The county has retained its rural character and tobacco production remains the major economic pursuit. Over the past 40 years, the addition of government services, mixed commercial enterprises, construction, and forestry have provided the county with a more varied economic base (Dozer 1976:70; Gibson 1978:1).
John Ashcom
According to family historian Mrs. J. Dawson Reeder (without citing any source), John Ashcom was an extensive landowner in Maryland in 1643. He came from Berkshire, England with his wife Winifred, four sons, two relatives and, in 1650 and 1651, six servants (Alexandre, Mathoda, Will Gibbins, Guy Edward Wood, Witt Ward and Joan). For this, on July 2, 1649, Lord Baltimore granted John land at the mouth of the Patuxant River: 360 acres known as Pt. Patience in St. Mary's Co., named and recorded August 6, 1651 (1661?); 650 acres known as West Ashcom (on the west side of the Patuxant River) in St. Mary's Co., surveyed June (July?) 17, 1652; and 200 (440?) acres known as East Ashcom or Hallowing Point (on the east side of the Patuxant River) in Calvert, Co., surveyed April 21, 1653. (Mrs. Reeder's account filed with the DAR Library in Washington, D.C. states that the grant was made in 1658.) The East Ashcom and West Aschom estates were apparently named after the villages of his home, near York, England.
John's will, which is recorded in the Maryland Land Office in Annapolis, MD, was probated on July 16 and August 31, 1684. It provided that West Ashcom would be left to his son Charles "if he should come into the Province." Charles, was at the time, apparently in Pennsylvania, serving under William Penn as the Deputy Surveyor for Chester Co.
According to family historian Robert Ashcom, John Ashcom came to America in approximately 1635 from Sutton Courtney, England. He received a land grant in Norfolk, Va., then he and his children moved to St. Mary's, Md. where they obtained several land grants at the mouth of the Chesapeake.
|
-
| Sources |
- [S117] This information was supplied by John Dwight Kilbo.
- [S73] This information was obtained from the LDS Ancestr.
|
|
|
|